Thursday, June 13, 2013

St. Andrews Native Wins Canadian National Sculpture Competition

Let the ARTrageous-ness begin!

The kick off the St. Andrews festival this afternoon, Kingsbrae Garden hosting the Canadian National Sculpture Competition Awards Ceremony.

Out of 15 finalists, St. Andrews native Alanna Baird winning the grand prize of $10,000.

Baird's sculpture titled "Salmon Vortex" features three wild salmon made from recycled copper roofing. The sculpture now sits in the centre of a pond at Kingsbrae Garden. Baird tells Tide News, "It's exciting for me as a sculptor to get my work out of my studio, out of the tools, out of a chaos, and get them into this kind of setting."

Tide News asked how long it took to make the piece. Her response? "Well, that's something everyone always asks me. I tell them it took me 21 years to figure out how to do it, and then 2 months to build it."

The ARTrageous Festival continues tonight at Kingsbrae with an evening of Jazz, and Saturday is all-day Free admission.

For details on events and tickets, go to their website www.artrageousnb.com .